ESIC stands for Employee State Insurance and it has been providing insurance since its inauguration. In this article today, we will share with all the important aspects of the employee State Insurance. We will share with you all the important specifications of the corporation such as the step-by-step guide through which you can apply yourself online under the Insurance claim. We will also share the important documents which are necessary while you are applying for the Insurance Scheme. There are many different schemes and many different benefits which are present in the employee State Insurance which is controlled by the employee state cooperation.
Table of Contents
Employee State Insurance (ESIC)
The Employee State Insurance scheme was inaugurated in Kanpur on 24th February 1952 by then Prime Minister Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru. The scheme was simultaneously launched at Delhi as well and the initial coverage for both the centres was 1,20,000 employees. The ESI Act 1948 on which this scheme is based includes certain health-related eventualities that the workers are generally endangered such as sickness, maternity, temporary or permanent disablement, Occupational disease or death due to employment injury, resulting in loss of wages or earning capacity-total or partial.
Details Of Employee State Insurance Scheme
|Government of India
|Insurance for employees
The following benefits have been provided through the implementation of the scheme to all of the employees of the country:-
- Medical Benefit- Full medical care is provided to an Insured person and his family members from the day he enters insurable employment. Medical care is also provided to retired and permanently disabled insured persons and their spouses on payment of a token annual premium of Rs.120/-
- Sickness Benefit- Cash compensation at the rate of 70 per cent of wages is payable to insured workers during the periods of certified sickness for a maximum of 91 days in a year.
- Extended Sickness Benefit- SB extendable up to two years in the case of 34 malignant and long-term diseases at an enhanced rate of 80 per cent of wages.
- Enhanced Sickness Benefit- Enhanced Sickness Benefit equal to full wage is payable to insured persons undergoing sterilization for 7 days/14 days for male and female workers respectively.
- Maternity Benefit- Confinement/pregnancy is payable for Twenty Six (26) weeks, which is extendable by further one month on medical advice at the rate of full wage subject to contribution for 70 days in the preceding Two Contribution Periods.
- Disablement Benefit
- Temporary disablement benefit- Temporary Disablement Benefit at the rate of 90% of wages is payable so long as the disability continues.
- Permanent disablement benefit- The benefit is paid at the rate of 90% of wage in the form of monthly payment depending upon the extent of loss of earning capacity as certified by a Medical Board
- Dependants Benefit- 90% of wages in the form of monthly payment to the dependants of a deceased Insured person in cases where death occurs due to employment injury or occupational hazards.
- Other Benefits-
- Funeral Expenses- An amount of Rs.15,000/- is payable to the dependents or to the person who performs last rites from day one of entering insurable employment.
- Confinement Expenses- An Insured Women or I.P. in respect of his wife in case confinement occurs at a place where necessary medical facilities under the ESI Scheme are not available.
Entities Under ESIC
The following entities are covered under the insurance schemes as covered by the ESIC:-
- Restaurants or Hotels only engaged in sales.
- Road Motor Transport Establishments;
- Newspaper establishments
- Private Educational Institutions
- ESI Registration is also mandatory for every factory and specified establishments who have 10 or more permanent employees and wages of such employees are less than Rs. 21,000/- per month.
The following documents are required to apply for the registration under the employee State Insurance Corporation:-
- A registration certificate of-
- Factories Act
- Shops and Establishment Act
- Certificate of Registration
- Memorandum of Association
- Articles of Association
- A list of all the employees working in the Establishment
- PAN Card of the Business Entity as well as all the Employees working under the entity
- The compensation details of all the employees
- A canceled cheque of the Bank Account of the Company
- List of Directors of the Company
- List of the Shareholders of the Company
- A register containing the attendance of the employees
ESIC Application Procedure
To apply for the scheme you need to follow the simple procedure given below:-
- First, visit the official website link given here
- Click on ‘Sign up’
- Enter Company Name, Principal Employer, State, Regions, E-mail
- Click on Submit
- An email is sent to you with login details
- Log in using the details